What is keyless entry?
A keyless entry system allows you to unlock and lock your car doors without using a key. This could be a keypad above your car's lock, a key fob, or a smart key. Keyless entry allows for an easier entrance into your car. When your hands are full, or you have multiple doors that need to be open, keyless entry gives you the option to unlock your doors with less hassle.
- unlock your car door by putting in a passcode
- a version of a keyless entry that lets the user push a button to unlock or lock the car doors. Key fobs contain a short-range radio transmitter that sends signals to a receiver unit inside the car. The transmitter must be within a certain distance to communicate to the receiver. Each key fob corresponds to a unique vehicle.
- similar to key fobs. They too have a transmitter that communicates with a certain vehicle. Instead of having buttons to push though, smart keys allow for a more hands-off experience. If a driver has the smart key in a certain proximity of the car, the car will unlock. Smart keys also allow you to start your car without putting the key in the ignition. You can learn more about smart keys in this article: What is Keyless Go Option on Your Vehicle?
Does my car have a keyless entry?
Keyless entry systems have been around since the 1980's and most vehicles now days come equipped with it. Even if your car has power windows and locks, it does not necessarily mean your car has a keyless entry option.
To find out if your car has a keyless entry system:
1) Call the dealership
- You will need your vehicle's VIN number (vehicle identification number)
Where do you find your VIN number?
- On any documentation you have for the vehicle (Title, Registration, repair records)
- On the vehicle:
You can learn more about VIN numbers here.
- From your VIN, the dealership should be able to tell you if your car has a keyless entry system
2) Check your car's owner's manual.
If your car is equipped with a keyless entry, it might be listed in the manual.
(some owner's manuals can be found online)
Here is a snippet from the 2017 Dodge Challenger owner's manual:
What if my car doesn't have a keyless entry?
If your car did not come equipped with a keyless entry system, you can have one installed. There are keyless entry systems that can be purchased and installed any vehicle that has power locks.
These systems can be installed by a mechanic, or some dealerships will do the installation too. If you are mechanically incline, you might even be able to do it yourself.
Do you need a keyless entry?
A keyless entry can be a very convenient addition to your vehicle. It makes life easier when you can unlock your car without having to put the key into the lock. It can also be a safety benefit for you in emergency situations. A keyless entry can help when you need to quickly get into your car, or if it is dark and you can't find the key hole.
Before you know it, you'll be spoiled with a keyless entry and it'll be hard to ever go back.
Need a replacement remote for your keyless entry? We've got you covered.